Finance for learning

16-19 Bursary Fund

School sixth forms, colleges and training providers have learner support funds to help students between 16 and 19 if they are starting a course and think they might struggle with the costs. Up to £1,200 is available to students who are most in need including:

  • Young people in care and care leavers
  • Young people claiming Income Support (or Universal Credit) in their own name
  • Young people getting Employment Support Allowance (or Universal Credit in place of ESA) and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own name.

Other students facing financial difficulties may also be awarded a bursary payment or financial support from the Discretionary Bursary Fund for travel, free meals, books or equipment. This will be decided by their sixth form, college or training provider.

Young people on an apprenticeship, or in paid learning or training, cannot get a bursary.  Young people undertaking a traineeship can apply for a bursary as they are not getting paid.

For information and advice about 16-19 bursary funds speak to college student services staff, head of school sixth form or a training tutor or see the information on the website


Child Benefit

Child Benefit will continue after your son/daughter reaches 16, provided they stay in full-time education at school or college, or start an approved training course such as a traineeship, and provided one parent or carer earns less than £50,000 per annum. 

At the present time, you cannot claim Child Benefit if your son/daughter is on an apprenticeship.

If your son or daughter is not planning to continue in full-time education after Year 11 you may be eligible to claim up to 20 weeks extended Child Benefit. To claim they should contact Norfolk County Council by calling the Help You Choose Helpline at 0344 800 8022

To find out more about Child Benefit, about when payments will stop, and when you can get a Child Benefit extension if your child is under 18 go to Child Benefit information on the website or call 0300 200 3100