Education at 18+ Banner

Some young people want to stay in education when they turn 19 but are worried how much it might cost

When you turn 19, education and training is fully or part-funded through the Adult Education Budget. Although young people with or without SEND can access it, you or your parents/carers might have to pay some money towards it depending upon your personal circumstances. Talk to your special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) or a specialist careers adviser or at your school. Norfolk SENDIASS can also provide free, confidential and impartial advice.


Transition planning at 18+ for young people with EHCPs

If you have an EHCP, you might need to stay in learning longer and therefore would have access to longer, full time courses within an FE College without paying a fee. If you have an EHCP and need ongoing health or social care support, you will likely have already made plans for when you turn 18 and have been discussing the move from Children's Services to Adult Services. You can read more information about EHCP plans or contact the EHCP team on Norfolk County Council's Education, health and care (EHC) plans pages.


To view all full time courses and SEND supported opportunities, visit the Education at 16+ pages.

Adult Education - Offers a range of courses that might interest you and some are free (visit the Learner Information section for help with costs)

University - For young people with a level 3 qualification (e.g. A-levels, BTEC L3 etc.) higher education might be an option. Students with a disability or SEND can access a range of financial and personal support covered in the link below.